Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Recent Pickup: Engineered Garments Field Jacket

I'm a big fan of field jackets. The extra pockets make them so practical. If you're carrying a cell phone, a camera and, perhaps a little snack, the field jacket is the most practical option available if you want to travel light. This one also comes with a built-in hood. I like the built-in hoods because one problem with the M-65 style field jackets is that the collar comes up straight and high, so it can look a little fucked up if you don't have a hoodie with a big hood with some weight to it because the hood gets turned inside out. (I use a black slim fit Spruce hoodie with my M-65 style Nom de Guerre jacket.) This jacket is not really olive green, its a shade or too off from that colour.

I've had my eye on this one for a while. I picked it up at TNT Blu. I thought the price was a little on the high side (they have a higher price point than Nomad on their Engineered Garments stuff; Nomad is where I prefer to get the EG stuff, but they didn't have this one) so I designated it for summer sale pickup. The field jacket is a staple of Engineered Garments, so I figured if I missed this one I could try again on the fall. I got this one at 30% off. I could've taken a chance and waited to get at more of a discount, but this one was the last one that would fit me so I decided to pick it up.

Its cotton nylon shell, so I don't think it would that great in the rain, which isn't to important for me because I have this to wear when it rains. Its a little bulky, but I don't swim in it. It doesn't have a lining, so I can easily fit in some extra layers when it starts getting chilly. It's got a heavy duty double zipper, so you can unzip the bottom.

I think this will be fine for the early fall and maybe even past that with enough layers.

No comments: