Saturday, June 2, 2007

Not So Recent Pickups: Sugarcane Denim

I've had these for a while, but I just got them hemmed so they're to wear if I really wanted to.

I got them chain stitched, but they couldn't do an exact match on the thread colour. So I opted for the closest colour in the heavy duty thread. The hems look really rugged.


First, the sugarcane '47 model. The denim on these is slightly different from the sugarcane '55, with the sugarcane '55 looking to be a slightly coarser weave. I'm interesting to see the difference in the fading and the whiskers between these and the '55. I'll probably wash after 3 months , when I get around to wearing them, to compare.


Second, something a little more unconventional. The sugarcane Okinawa. These are made from a sugarcane cotton blend. These differ from the sugarcane Hawaii, which I also own. The Hawaii's are made with right hand twill denim, while the Okinawa's are left-hand twill. To me the Okinawa's look to be a little more fuller in the thigh than the Hawaii's, although both have a taper on them.

You can see a contrast in the denim from the '47s. The Okinawa denim is really slubby. Apparently, you get a lot of crazy fading with these in the first few weeks of wear. I'm not sure if these will be an everyday pair of denim for me. My problem with the Hawaii's is that they are really itchy. I've read that the itchiness is supposed to go after a few days, but i wore mine at least 12 times and they just as itchy the 12th time. Anyway, I shouldn't complain -- they we're a gift from a Japanese visitor.

No comments: