Friday, September 14, 2007

Japanese Photography

I don't really know what it is about the Japanese, but they always seem to be like on the next level. I've been looking into some different photographers and they always seem to be doing doper than the next guy.

I found some stuff by Osamu Kanemura. He does these urban landscapes that are jam packed. They're collected in his book, Spider's Strategy. You can see scenes similar to these in Chinatown, but they aren't as intense as the Japanese equivalents.

Here are a few.




I also stumbled across Kohei Yoshiyuka. His stuff is more out there. Basically this guy went to this park in Tokyo where couples make out to take pictures. They were shot in the 1970s at night and published as Document Kouen. So you're probably thinking, what a pervert. Here's the twist. There are all these pervs in the park who spy on the couples and in a few pictures they almost seem like they are getting in on the action. So he's there documenting all this.

Here are a few samples, so you can see what I'm talking about.



Like I said, next level shit.

No comments: