Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Ankle Bracelets

When I was growing up ankle bracelets on a girl meant that there was a pretty high probability that she was a tramp.

Yesterday I was walking home and there was sun dried woman walking towards me in some tight spandex with a camel toe. She was also wearing a cropped top and I could see the glitter of some blue coloured glass or crystal in her belly button.

This made me think is the belly button piercing the new ankle bracelet?

But then I wondered what about a tattoo on the lower back, which is sometimes referred to as a tramp stamp. These seem to be a little more common than a belly button piercing, but i don't have any survey results to back this up. Maybe the tramp stamp is the new ankle bracelet?

To me it seemed that the ankle bracelet wasn't overly common, so like when you saw it meant that you hit the jackpot.

I raise the issue because tattoos are so much more common. For example, this morning I noticed that the woman testing my dad's eyes had a tattoo on her foot (I spotted it because she was wearing ballet shoes) of a Chinese character. This woman was probably in her 40's or maybe a little older. She was wearing a lab coat so I couldn't tell if she also had a tattoo on her lower back. So tattooing is probably a lot more popular with a lot of people, for whatever reasons, so when I see one on the lower back should I really look at it as a subconscious signal.

Or maybe the tattoo and the piercing are interchangeable, some like piercings and other like the art work. So it doesn't really matter what you see, you have a keeper if you see either or even better both. Given changes in social norms maybe we're just seeing more of this (in other words, if ankle bracelets were still fashionable we would be seeing a lot more of them).


I wonder ....

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.