Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Recent Pickup: Y-3 Akasaka


I was originally planning to do one big post on the sneaker pickups, something like a classic versus a more contemporary design, as represented by these Y-3s. However, as I was looking at the Y-3's a little more closer I think that there are some elements of some classic Adidas tennis sneakers.
These are the Akasaka, in white. I spotted these earlier this year at the Brown's on Queen, but then they disappeared. I was looking through the Browns in Hazleton lanes and spotted them at 40% off so I decided to pick them up. I liked them because they present a more "contemporary" look that doesn't say douche bag. In other words, this is not a sneaker that douche bags in this city will be overly interested in (not pointy enough in the toe and no flashy colours or glowing shit. These are pretty non-descript when worn with jeans, which will cover the Y-3 on the heel and the tongue.

I really like the details on them. Like the suede-ish trim at the front of the sneaker.
Also it might be hard to tell from the pictures but these are leather and canvas. The toe and the heel are in leather, but the middle is canvas. It gives it a bit of two-tone feel because the canvas is a little brighter than the leather.
The Y-3 logos and part of the back of the sole are also navy blue in colour, although it might be hard to tell from these pictures.

I like the sole too. Its like an inverted field cleat with the Y-3 scatter around. I'm not sure how well they'll grip on wet pavement, but these aren't like to be see much action in the rain so it won't be an issue for me.
You also great these great little bags for the sneakers. That's classy.

The Akasaka are really light, but the sole of the shoe is not flimsy (its really firm). The lightness of the sneaker reminds of the Forest Hills, but with a more substantial sole. (The forest hills sole feels like its even thinner than what you get with a flip flop, so it can get a little uncomfortable if you are walking long distances with them.)

I kind of thought that the Akasaka might be Yohji Yamato's version of a Stan Smith, but after looking through my collection I think that the Forest Hills might be a better comparison.


The toe on the Forest Hills and the Akasaka is flatter and not as round as the Stan Smith. Also the Forest Hills and the Akasaka also share the same suede-like trim on the front of the sole.
The silhouette on all three shoes is fairly similarly, but the Akasaka and Forest Hills may not be as bulky as the Stan Smiths and perhaps slightly sleeker.



No comments: