Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The Canadian Winter: Salt and Denim

When I started to wear these I was thinking they;re just jeans and wore them in some pretty heavy snow. The problem is the salt gets on them and made them extremely crusty. Salt can do some pretty serious damage to organic material, so I had to get rid of the salt which was pretty much in the denim.

These are the before pictures (PRPS dark selvage):






You can see how far the salt worked its way up above. Although it started off being contained close to the hem, with cuffing the salt spread like a cancer further up the leg.

I cold soaked the infected parts of the denim in a tub for 9 hours. These are the after pictures after soaking.

The cold soaking got most of the salt out. But there was still a bit of sandpaper texture to the parts which were bleached white. So then I decided to wash the affected parts in cold water with woolite black. This ended up softening up the salt stained parts, so I think most of the salt is out. The details on the salt stained parts are really out there. This is the left leg after soaking, which was heavily stained. It almost looks like a spider web down near the hem.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Mike. You got nice Blog!
My Jeans also got solt. It's terrible.
I'm leaving for Japan at tomorrow night.
So, I'll say, Good-bye. See you soon!

FROM Dice