Friday, January 4, 2008

Catch Phrases in Real Estate Signs

I've noticed some real estate signs have these catch phrases on them. I guess these are supposed to help market the property and make you feel more confident in the ability/credentials of the agent or brokerage.

For example, look at this sign I spotted in a shop window.



Here you can expect "Higher Standards". Wow that's impressive at first glance. But then you start to wonder in what? Its certainly not in the choice of the suits the agent wears or his ties.


Then you can have the self-styled real estate divas.


Wow. That's a really powerful phrase. When I hear the word diva I think of some famous opera singer or prehaps someone like dianna ross or madonna. So I'm visualizing a woman in some some elegant gown or costume. In music the phrase has a pretty clear meaning. In real estate I guess the definition of diva is open to a much more liberal interpretation.

Lets have a closer look at the real estate divas.

First, there's the younger one. She kind of looks like the years of teasing out her hair in the '80s has increased the volume of her despite straightening it with an iron. She looks to be wearing some sort of top that could have picked up at a Portuguese fashion boutique near some sports bar on dundas.



Then there's the more senior one. She's kind of got the caked on makeup -- notice her really bright red lipstick. Based on the turtle neck and blazer (in neutral tones), I would guess that she doesn't wear high heels -- unlike her partner.


I'm kind of disappointed. I don't know what sort of service they provide, but when I hear diva I get all excited. Then I look at the sign, and i see a Peg Bundy wanna-bee and a frumpy women in her 50s.

I wonder if they've trademarked the phrase "real estate divas". If they haven't then I guess other agents could use it or variants because it is a real attention grabber.

Look at this sign.

The agent's picture kind of looks like a graduation picture, where they tell the female students to wear a crisp white blouse to get best results for the photography.

So the sign looks really kind of boring. But if she were to include a catch phrase like, "The Original Diva of Real Estate", "A Diva with Higher Standards" or "Real Estate Diva", it might add some life into it and improve her branding potential.

No comments: