Monday, January 8, 2007

Top pick ups in 2006

1. A.P.C Rescue

(via mail order from NYC store) These are great. Its a loose fit, but not too overly baggy. They drape really well across pretty much all the sneakers I have. I messed up on the waist sizing, but I know better next time around. If they made these in 14 or 15 oz denim they would get the vintage look even quicker. I only got about 3-4 months wear on these before I starting working on my sugarcane's, but I'm hoping to wear them a little more and get them that more complete finish.

2. Gucci wallet

(at Holt Renfrew on Bloor Street) I know its kind of like going nuclear. The wallet is just plain black and slim. There are no logos, except for a small embossed Gucci in a corner. So for something so plain why did I go all out? Because I was out for dinner a few years ago and my date (who was hot) told me "I would have thought you would've had a nicer wallet." I bought the last wallet I had on the recommendation of this meathead I used to talk to. This time I didn't fuck around.


3. Nom de Guerre M-65 Field Jacket

(at Nomad) Its a black wool with a herring bone pattern. It's dope and it looks rugged. Worth every cent.

4. French F-2 Field Jacket

(at the Army Surplus store on Yonge just above Wesley) It was $17 dollars and change. Shirt jacket, perfect for summer and not overly cool Fall days, with a hoodie layered underneath. I have total contempt for those guys walking around the city with the Ben Sherman version. They look like pansies. The A.P.C. version is none existent in this city.

5. Sugarcane 1955

(Klaxon Howl). Although they are baggy and loose, they had incredible wear and fading after 3-months of almost daily wear. It had to be the 14.25 oz denim that produced this accelerated results. They have a taper on them, even though they are baggy. So they don't look as good with some shoes that are bulkier (in my opinion).

6. Visim Kiefer Lo

(Nomad) These shoes are basically Chuck Taylor's with orthopedic inserts. They are great on the feet. They are made from deer skin. They are so soft and supple, buttery. I got them in three colours (ivory, black and brown). They look great with the '55 canes when they are cuffed. I can wear the Rescues with them without cuffing.

7. Lumix FX-9

(Henry's) Small and sleek, but still has a 2.5 inch display. The black looks really sharp. 6 mega pixel's and a Leica lense produce some really sharp pictures.

8. Altius Minerals

( ALS on the TSX venture exchange) I wish I didn't gamble so much on these junior oil stocks so I could've put more money in this one. I cashed out in the last week of December, so I don't have to pay tax until April 2008. Sweet.

9. Cutler and Gross frames

(Spectacle). They look like vintage way farers. These glasses defintely get a reaction. Some examples, include "you look like a ...." i) DJ, ii) artist, iii) architect, iv) photographer, v) Corrado Soprano. I know I can go up to a chick on the street an talkt to her and she'll take me more seriously with these glasses than the oval metal frames I used to have. I have mixed feelings about Spectacle. The asian woman who helped me was rally nice and friendly and somewhat hot. They also have a nice darker skinned woman there (she must be south-east asian or middle eastern extraction), that's really nice to look at. But some how the whole experience wasn't just right, even with hot chicks. The guys who work there really bug me. I'm not sure if I'd buy anything else there, but they have some eye candy hanging around the store most days.

10. Gieves No. 1 Saville Row Cotton Cable Knit Sweater

(Holt Renfrew on Bloor) I picked it up on sale. It's preppy in a really O.G. way, that you don't see in Ralph Lauren Polo Stuff. Pushing the limit again.

Honourable Mentions:
a) American Apparel short-sleeve leisure shirts

They just look really sleek, with the 4-buttons and the straight edge collar.

b) Eddie Bauer Parka

With global warming do I really need a parka that's rated for -29 degrees Celsius? I don't know, but its got a real gangsta look to it. Its black, with faux fur trim, two big cargo pockets and two zip up F-2 style pockets.

No comments: